with a mighty lumberjack
I got caught up in the feel of worn hands
gripping me and swinging me
against fearsome oaks and redwoods.
He never told me he loved me as well
but I could feel his affection in the fibers of his flannel
when I would wear his shirts
wrap myself in the scent of him.
He smelled like rain and pine and musk.
A thick mass of hair covered his body.
I used to hide myself in the woolen hairs of his arms.
Find a way to get lost in them
so I didn't have to face the cold world around us.
He had a beard full of hope
and that morning's breakfast
(eggs cooked hard and toast.)
And I would rub may face against the bristles
and I would feel the warmth of his breath against my cheeks
and I would lose myself in that hope.
We said goodbye on a green and gray morning
He lifted me high in his arms and spun me
I didn't laugh or smile like a child
I sobbed like a babe.
He bestowed upon me a parting kiss.
I kept the sweater and splinters he gave me
He kept hand knit socks and my long hairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment